Traveling by Car to Canada

canadian-flagDriving to Canada is usually pretty care free and easy, but there are some things to note if you are taking your pet with you:  to go into Canada from the states you just need a signed rabies certificate from your veterinarian, but if you are coming back in through Minnesota, the border patrols require a veterinarian-signed health certificate as well as the signed rabies certificate.  This health certificate is good for 30 days once it is signed, but if it is going to be longer than 30 days you will need another one before coming back.  North Dakota does not require a signed health certificate to get back in from Canada.  These requirements can change without much notice, so it is always a good idea to look up the most recent requirements before you travel and you can even call your regular veterinarian, the Minnesota board of animal health, the border patrol, or the Center for Disease Control if you have any questions on “importing and exporting” pets.  Below are some excellent websites on the traveling requirements:

Canadian Requirements for importing dogs

North Dakota requirements for travel through their state

Minnesota Board of Animal Health requirements for travel through Minnesota