Many common indoor and outdoor plants have the potential to cause mild poisoning. A few plants can cause serious health risk to your pets (and young children). The Hennepin County Poison Control Center reports that about 20 percent of their pet related calls involve plants.
Know your own pet's personality. If your pet gets bored easily or likes to explore new surroundings your home may need to be thoroughly "pet proofed". Young pets put everything in their mouths so watch them very carefully.
Reports of plant toxicity in the veterinary literature are incomplete at best and sometimes misleading. A good example is the poinsettia Christmas plant. Commonly the poinsettia is thought to be highly toxic. In truth, although this plant draws the most concern from our clients, it is rare that illness can actually be attributed to this plant. The toxic part of the plant is the sap, which is very irritating to the eye and may cause some salivation if it makes contact with the mouth. Quite the contrary, all parts of mistletoe are very toxic and can cause vomiting, pain in the stomach area, and diarrhea.
Dracaena (most varieties)
Five Leaved Ivy
Hen and Chickens
Polka Dot Cactus
Potato (all green parts)
(entire plant except the ripe fruit)