Approved youTube Video on how to pill your dog
- Lightly covering the tablet with butter will help the pill slide down more easily. Many pills are already coated.
- If you are right handed, hold the tablet between the thumb and index finger of your right hand. Use your left hand to open the dog's mouth.
- Slide the thumb of your left hand into the right side of the dog's mouth, just behind the large canine tooth. With your thumb into dog's mouth, grasp the rest of the dog's upper muzzle like you would hold a baseball bat.
- Press the thumb of your left hand into the roof of the dog's mouth and your pet will open its mouth.
- Take the pill in your right hand and deposit it as far back in the mouth as possible. The further back in the mouth the pill is placed the easier it is to swallow.
- Remove your hands and gently hold the dog's nose up into the air. Gently stroke the dog's lower neck to stimulate swallowing. When your dog licks its nose the pill has been swallowed.
Tips on Pilling Your CatApproved youTube Video on how to pill your cat
- Lightly covering the tablet with butter will help the pill slide down more easily.
- If you are right handed, hold the tablet between the thumb and index finger of your right hand. Use your left hand to hold the cat's head.
- Firmly take the cat's head into your left hand as if you were picking up a baseball. Tilt the cat's nose up into the air.
- With the tablet in your right hand, use your third finger gently to open up the cat's lower jaw.
- Deeply place or drop the tablet into the back of the cat's mouth. If the tablet is not on the middle of the cat's tongue it will likely be spit up.
- With your left hand still holding the cat's head, tilt the cat's nose up into the air. Gently stroke the lower neck to stimulate swallowing. When the cat licks its nose, the tablet has been swallowed.
- A few antibiotics are available in liquid form. Ask our veterinarian if a liquid antibiotic would be easier to administer. Most medication can be crushed and mixed with a cherry elixir. Small tablets can be hidden in a Bounce brand treat.
- Almost all medications can be mixed with our FlavorX System into twenty different flavors including chicken and tuna. Although there is an additional cost for a technician staff to pulverize the tablets and accurately calculate the proper concentration, the ease of administration can be a welcome relief.
- Pill Pockets are a healthy treat in which medication can be hidden. We have heard our clients praise this product and have seen success with medications like prednisolone, tapazole and pepcid.